DSN GIRLS 6th-8th Grade SOFTBALL LEAGUE RULES
Please remember that you are representing so much more than your team. You are representing the DSN & the highest of standards that have been set for this organization.
MANDATE: KIDS ARE TO HAVE FUN. COACHES ARE TO BE GOOD ROLE MODELS.
Go over these rules with each other & the umpire before each game; it takes less than one minute. Refer to them when necessary.
1) If the ball is overthrown , they can run at their own risk but only one additional base. If there is another overthrow , then the runner can advance to yet another base. For example, batter hits the ball to shortstop who throws to 1st but ball sails over the 1st baseman's head, the runner can go to 2nd base at her own risk. If the 1st baseman then throws to 2nd base and the ball sails over the 2nd basemans head, the runner can go to 3rd base at her own risk.
2) Be nice & respectful to each other. If there is a disagreement, the 2 head coaches & umpire (if necessary) ONLY should quietly talk it over & come to an agreement. If the rule is unclear, the umpire will rule for that call & at the next meeting we will bring up the situation to make a rule for the future.
3) EVERY player on the team must get in to EVERY game. If the league has 13 girls we can allow all to play field at same time but they must have 5 outfielders. I they have 12, then 4 outfielders.
4) Everybody on the team bats. Players that arrive late will be added to the end of the lineup – REGARDLESS of where the team is in the batting order.
5) Maximum 5 runs per inning could be scored. This applies to every inning. Once 5 runs are scored, the inning is over. If a team is out of reach of winning, the game should still be played & coaches are encouraged to change up their defensive positions & give other kids a chance.
6). A base runner will be called safe if a defender, who is not making a play, seriously impedes the runner's ability to run straight to the next base and the play at that bag is a close call. On the other hand, if the ball is going to that defender, then the base runner cannot interfere with the defender, and must avoid any contact. If there is contact, the umpire can call “interference” and the runner will be called out.
7) Balls and strikes will be called for this league. There is no hit by pitch rule for this league—if a batter gets hit by a pitch she is not awarded a free base. However, if the pitcher hits 3 different batters in 1 inning, she must be removed as a pitcher from the game. She can play any other position instead.
8) Foul balls hit above the catchers head & caught is an out. If it happens on the third strike & the catcher catches NO MATTER HOW HIGH THE BALL IS – the batter is out.
9) The games are 6 innings long or until time runs out (120 minutes from first pitch), whichever occurs first. In the event of a tie after 6 innings, extra innings will be played if time is permitted within the allotted time slot (approx. 15 minutes or more remaining used as a guide – ie. If there is 5 minutes left till allotted time, than the game should be called.) If the game is tie after 7 innings, this rule shall apply again, time permitting. No matter what if time is up, your game will be called at the end of whatever inning you are in. NOTE that we will be allocating longer time slots for playoffs but if time runs out in a playoff game, the game will be finished at the end of the day.
10) Innings may be able to start without a catcher defensively. A coach should start as a catcher until the catcher is in full gear.
11) A base runner is out if she gets hit by a batted ball.
12) Tagging up is allowed.
13) Offensive coaches are not allowed to touch, hold or impede their own players during a play. If they do, the runner will be out. Of course once a timeout is called this rule does not apply.
14) NO player is to have a bat in their hands at ANY TIME except when they are up at the plate.
15) After 4 complete innings game is official (rain) or 3 1/2 if losing team already batted. In the event of rain delay – the team will have until their allotted time to possibly resume play in the event the rain subsides & field is deemed by the umpire in playable condition.
16) A batter throwing the bat is warned first offense. Second offense she is automatically called out.
17) The girls in this league will be pitching to each other from 35 feet away.
18) Balls - will use clincher.
19) A Player can only block a base if they have the ball. The runner must “slide or avoid” meaning they must avoid contact all together or slide. Any player who does not slide or avoid will be called out and risks being ejected from the game. If there is no play at the base the runner does not have to slide or avoid.
20) ONLY 2 offensive coaches are allowed one at first and one at third base. All other Coaches, Parents, Helpers must be behind the fence. NO Defensive coaches are allowed on the field. All Defensive coaches must stay behind the fence.
21) ONLY Coaches (up to 4) are allowed in the dugouts. No adults, kid’s friends or family.
22) Runners may not run out of the base paths or they risk being called out by the ump.
23) Ball is in play at all times unless ump calls time out. Runners can run around the bases until time is called. The ump will call time out when he deems the play to be over, or when the ball is returned to the pitcher on the mound. Once the ball is returned to the pitcher, any runners who have reached beyond halfway to the next base, get to go to that next base. But if the runner is not yet halfway to the next base before the pitcher receives the returned ball, then the runner must go back to the previous base. Coaches mus be honest and send their runners back when they know she wan't halfway. If it's not obvious where the runner was, the ump will make this judgment call which cannot be argued about.
24) Third strike foul tip is a do-over unless the ball is caught – REGARDLESS of how high the foul tip was. There is no running to first on a third strike dropped by the catcher.
25) No head first sliding or the runner will be called out. Headfirst sliding is not allowed, except when going BACK to the base. Any headfirst slide even WITHOUT a play at the base, will be called out.
26) Pitchers cannot pitch more than 12 consecutive outs. Period. No splitting appearances: a pitcher cannot, for example, pitch the second inning and then come back in the 5th inning.
27) Coaches can visit the mound 2 times per pitcher per inning (barring injury or special circumstance as deemed by the umpire) – on third time the pitcher must be taken out of the game.
28) Pitcher is removed as pitcher on third batter hit by pitch in one inning.
29) Bunting is allowed.
30) If a fielder tags the runner with his glove, however the ball is in her bare hand – batter is NOT OUT.
31) All players & coaches must line up at the end of the game to congratulate one another - one team at first base, one team at third base. Good sportsmanship is a MUST.
32) Intentional Walks are permitted. The pitches must be pitched; the batter must stay in the batter’s box.
33) Pitchers warm-ups will be limited to 3 minutes. Switching sides in between innings will be limited to a time frame of 2 minutes. If umpire suspects intentional delay of game then a walk will be issued for the batting team for every minute the defense is not ready, or an out will be issued to the batting team if they do not have a batter ready.
34) Season tie breakers will be decided as follows:
a. head to head wins,
b. Flip a coin.
35) A pitcher may warm up while their team is batting. This will be done in foul territory and the pitcher, catcher, and guarding player must all wear helmets.
36) The Home team has the first base dugout regardless of field. The home team is the second team listed on the schedule.
37) Playoffs/World Series: With 4 teams. Home team is always the highest ranked team. The first round of playoffs will be held as follows: team 1 will play 4 and team 2 will play 3.
38) Approved Equipment - Bats (wood & non-wood). DSN follows the same rules as little league baseball with regards to approved bats. You can check their web site for reference.http://www.littleleague.org/learn/equipment.htm
39) Catcher interference: If any part of a catcher or his equipment gets in the way of a swing of the batter, it is a dead ball & the batter is awarded first base. All other runners remain where they were, except if they are forced to move by the batter going to first base.
40) If the ump make a judgment call there is no arguing allowed or any discussion whatsoever about it. If it is a non judgment call IE our rule or a basic softball rule, then the two Head coaches and the ump should quietly discuss the matter to resolve the issue. For all DSN rules they should refer to the website. If one coach believes the umps decision a conflict with basic softball rules he should declare a “Protest” to the ump and the opposing coach. He should then report it to DSN after they finish the game and DSN will review the matter and make a final decision.
41) Only head coaches are permitted to talk to the ump about calls in the game. Only Head coaches are allowed to talk to each other about calls in the game. All assistants and helpers may not converse with the ump or the opposing Head coach. If they do so they will be asked to leave the field.
42) Once the Batter is in the batter’s box the pitcher may pitch the ball.
43) No game or portion of a game may be played without a DSN approved ump.
44) Once the 1st batter of the half-inning has seen 1 pitch, no timeouts permitted in order to move players in defensive position. It is up to the coach to move his players before or during the at bat without a time out being called. If you want timeout, you need to visit the mound and it will be counted as a visit to the mound.
45) Coaches from each team are responsible to keep the score and should check each other’s score cards each half inning in order to make sure they are in agreement.
46) Helmets must be worn by all batters and runners on base.
47) No Player is allowed to play without proper attire.
A. DSN team jersey
B. Sweatpants, Leggings or skirt. (No Shorts due to safety reasons)
C. No jewelry—Earing, Necklaces, Bracelets
48) Stealing and leading are not allowed.
49) Pitchers will pitch from the rubber. One foot must be on the rubber from when they begin their pitch.
50) Must have a minimum of 7 players for a real game to take place. Less than 7 will cause your team to forfeit. If both teams have less than 7 players it's a double forfeit and both teams get a loss. The number of players is determined after 15 minutes from game start time. For example, if game time is 530pm, then at 545pm the ump counts the players and if there are less than 7, he calls it a forfeit. If your 7th player arrives at 5:46pm, its too late and no game is played. If you are playing with only 7 or 8 players, a father can be catcher but he must wear a protective mask and he cannot make any out plays.
51)Home team must bat 2nd, whether regular season or playoffs. The home team cannot choose to bat 1st
52) Field Set up please see diagram below Numbers 2, 4 and 5 cannot stand on the base must stand next to the base. Number 8 and 9 are on each side of the pitcher number 7. Number 1 is the catcher. Numbers 10 and 11 must be on the grass area.